Monday, December 12, 2011

Be Grateful

This Christmas I've been thinking a lot about wanting to raise our kids to understand what we're truly celebrating on Christmas. Of course I still want Cameron & Reese to be excited for presents on Christmas morning like all kids are, but I also want them to see the bigger picture. As I write this, Cam is watching Mickey Saves Christmas where Santa is stranded on Mistletoe Mountain. Mrs. Claus comes rushing for Mickey's help, telling him that if Santa can't be rescued, Christmas will be cancelled. That just sounded so funny to me because it's basically telling kids that if the presents aren't delivered, Christmas isn't happening. Then on the Dora Christmas special, Swiper (who, by the way, I cannot stand & I think is a complete A-hole) is placed on the Naughty List for Swiping. The message to him is that if he doesn't swipe on Christmas, he'll be put back on the Nice List. So, basically the message is that if you're good on Christmas, you can get presents even if you're a jerk the rest of the year.

I didn't grow up in a very religious household. I was baptized & went to communion class at our Lutheran church but we really only went to church a few times a year. We never prayed in our house or discussed God. Mike was raised Catholic & though we got married in his church, I knew I didn't want to raise our children Catholic. After Cameron was born, we decided that it was time to join a church & raise Cam to understand God & religion. Seeing Cameron just made me feel so much closer to God since having a child is truly a miracle. So now we belong to Church of the Suncoast. It's so great to be part of a church where we've gotten close to a lot of people. I've even been part of a book club with a handful of women from the church & I really feel that made me a much stronger person as well. It's helped me to put a lot of things into perspective & to worry a lot less. I have a looooonnng way to go still, but I'm getting there! Baby steps...

Anyway, this Christmas I want to start the path of teaching my children more about God & to shift some of the excitement from just presents alone. My favorite part of Christmas is spending time with my family & being thankful for all that we have. I want Cameron & Reese to be generous & grateful for the things they have & want to give to those who don't. This year I'd like to have Cameron pick toys to give to kids who aren't otherwise able to have anything to open on Christmas morning. I want him to realize that he has so much while so many do not. I've seen so many spoiled, bratty & ungrateful kids so I want to try my best to raise Cam & Reese differently. I'm in no way a perfect parent but I'm trying my best!

post signature

1 comment:

  1. You are doing a great job and I have no doubt that you will raise sweet, generous, grateful children!

    ReplyDelete