Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Random happenings

We had a great weekend & this week seems to be flying by so far, thank goodness!  I'll include some pictures I took of the kids tonight in this post... 

I kicked the weekend off by getting a much needed manicure! 


I probably haven't had a manicure in a few years & boy could you tell!  As much as I love painting my nails & changing up colors, I just don't take care of my cuticles by cutting them.  The lady doing my nails did not try to hide her disgust either.  Nice confidence booster, lady, thanks!


Since Mike wants to be a good role model for the kids, he's trying to get healthy & shed some pounds.  He's been doing a great job of cutting back on his portions & hitting the gym.  Overall we eat very healthfully & really don't keep junk food in the house.  You'll rarely ever find cookies or crummy, processed crackers in our pantry.  Trust me though, we're far, far, far from perfect.  Cam would literally survive off of processed carbs if we let him.

See, I told you!

 
Every dinner we serve Cam an array of healthy food but he rarely eats never eats the veggies we put on his plate.  Like, never.  Last week I think he had a single bite of a green bean & that was it.  Trust me when I say I do try & try & try.   


We do not make him separate meals either; we offer him what's served & if he refuses, he refuses.  Granted, if I'm making something that just isn't kid friendly, like a really spicy dish, I will prepare an alternate for him.


So, I'm not sure if one day he'll just be more open about food, but either way, I'm praying that he'll eventually eat a greater array of food for a more well balanced diet.


So, I'm making a much bigger effort to prepare all natural foods & stay away from processed, pre-made foods.  Most days I do this anyway, but not always.  Sunday we made an awesome fish taco recipe by Alton Brown & it was insanely tasty!  Click here to try it.  If you like cilantro, you'll love this.  We just did the marinade part & didn't make our own tortillas & we served it with a broccoli slaw.  


I also made a batch of quinoa on Sunday which I've never done before.  I made it so that I could heat it up with some milk & eat it as a hot cereal for a quick, healthy weekday breakfast.


I topped it with toasted almonds & fresh blueberries & a touch of brown sugar.  Today for dinner I knew I needed to do something with the chicken we picked up, but I wasn't sure what.  I decided to make oven-baked chicken tenders.  At the last minute, I decided to coat them with chopped nuts instead of breadcrumbs.  I dredged them in seasoned flour, eggs & the nut mixture & baked at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.  I served it along with some steam in the bag green beans.  Easy & healthy!


I absolutely love cooking, but some days I just do not have it in me to make a complicated dinner.  Planning meals & grocery shopping on the weekend helps out so much!



So, that's what's going on over here.. Hope you're all having a great week too!

post signature

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delish! I found a recipe from skinnytaste.com recently for cilantro lime tilapia tacos - they're awesome! I should make those again soon! You also reminded me I've been wanting to try quinoa for breakfast...I have some at home. I'm also wanting to try overnight oats.

    ReplyDelete