Monday, September 21, 2009

Time. Or lack thereof.




As thoughts were racing through my head this morning as I sat at my desk at work, one of them included the fact that I haven't blogged in quite some time. Which brings me to the idea of this post! The series we're currently discussing at church is called "Living on the Edge" which discusses the idea that we are basically pushed to the edge in many aspects of our lives. This series came at a perfect time for me, as I'm sure it has for many, many other people, as I feel as I'm being pulled in a million different directions and stretched so thin. Most weeks I feel as if I'm just trying to survive and that is NOT how I want to live my life.

The point of Sunday's message was that God gives us our time & is the only one who knows how much we have left. With that said, many of us don't make time in our lives to put God as one of our priorities. I know that I am one of those people. As I mentioned before, so much of my day feels like survival mode that I'm not able to see things clearly or to gain perspective on what's actually important. As our Pastor, Brian said, we have such a go, go, go mentality that we fear that we may "fall behind." But, fall behind what?? We also discussed "type A" personality which category I surely fall into, where I feel like I ALWAYS have to be productive, I ALWAYS have to be multitasking. It gets so tiring sometimes & when my brain is so tired, my focus is so distorted & the things that should be important in my life go to the wayside.

Lately I really am trying to relax and be more present for my family. As I sat at the dinner table with Mike & Cameron last week & noticed the fifty things that needed to be done in the house, I continued to talk, laugh & sit because I know that Cameron will only be eleven & a half months old once & we don't have endless time to enjoy him at this stage. For all I know, I could be gone from this Earth tomorrow.

I just have to keep reminding myself to stop, take a deep breath & gain a bit of perspective. Brian suggested that we take a small amount of time each day to read a chapter, or even less, of the Bible & this is exactly what I plan to do. Hopefully this will help remind me that life is so much more than struggling to "make it through" each day.

2 comments:

  1. The title of your blog is so fitting Allison. Life is all about balance. Sometimes it's hard to let go of our over-productive urges but it's for the best. I've had to learn this lesson too. Once in a while we need to put off a task or take a short cut to get it done so that we can devote as much time as possible to what's important, family and enjoying our blessed lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Sista! This has a good series at church. I keep thinking about it all week. I still have been meaning to blog about this subject too.. BUT I've gotta find the TIME!! :)

    ReplyDelete