Sunday, September 6, 2009

Perno Pizza Friday



After a two-week hiatus from Perno Pizza Friday (because of other obliagtions), we were ready to get back into the swing of things! While I formulated the recipe, Mike gets the rest of the credit as he did all the cooking.

Both Mike & I would have to say that this has been our favorite pizza yet! Since Mike did the cooking, I'll let him fill you in on the details. Mike, take it away!

--Hey everyone Mike Pernecky here, Founder and Purveyor of Perno Pizza Fridays. Here's how it went down: I rolled out a wheat pizza dough ball from our local grocery store and slapped it onto a pizza pan, the kind with holes in it so the crust cooks on the top and bottom (airbake). Next I used Ragu brand alfredo as our sauce, and spread that deliciousness all around the dough. Then, added a thin layer of shredded mozzarella cheese, followed by the toppings. The toppings included sliced black olives, chopped sun dried tomatoes, and some pre-cooked spicy turkey Italian sausage.

I noticed some of the dough was overlapping the pizza pan, so I figured I'd take a page out of Pizza Hut's book and make a little cheese-stuffed crust...so when I added a bunch more mozzarella and "Italian 5-cheese" shredded cheese, I made sure to put extra cheese in the spots that had excess dough hanging over, and folded the dough over those spots. Then I simply painted the crust with some olive oil and slid the pie into a 400 degree oven for about 10-12 minutes. One thing I forgot was the feta cheese hunks, so I added those and popped the pizza in for another minute or two. It was awesome. I tend to get wordy so here's a quick run down of what the pizza had:
  • Alfredo sauce
  • Shredded mozzarella and "Italian 5 cheese blend" cheeses
  • Spicy Italian turkey sausage (casing removed, and browned in chunks)
  • Sliced black olives (canned)
  • Chopped sun dried tomatoes (or SDTs) as we refer to them in these parts
  • Wheat dough ball
I really believe the wheat dough ball made it better than if we had just a simple white dough ball, but everyone is different. Enjoy!

1 comment: