Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Making a house a home

Slowly, slowly, I'm working on making our house our own & putting my own touches on things.  When you have a strict budget, things don't necessarily happen as quickly as you'd like!  BUT, the house isn't going anywhere, so I need to keep patient & enjoy the small changes.

We'll start with my laundry room.  I call it MY laundry room vs. OUR laundry room because who are we kidding, I'm the only one who spends time in that room other than the pets who also share it with me.  When we first closed on our house, I told Mike I wanted to paint the laundry room Parakeet Green by Sherwin Williams and he had enough nerve to try & deter me!!  Yeah, that didn't fly because it's now the cheerful green hue I so wanted!


Stella, our Chihuahua sleeps in here at night & both dogs stay closed in while we're at work.  The cats eat on the counter as you can see Casper demonstrating, otherwise Dempsey would gobble up their food.  The litter box is also hidden beyond the dryer.


Mike got the actual room that was designated as a home office, so I call the laundry room my office.  It's very functional & since our old house had no laundry room, but a closet instead, I am loving this!  I have a counter to do my folding & a shelf to hang clean clothes or line-dried clothes.


We have room for a storage shelf but eventually I want to install a utility tub in this space since 50% of the kids clothes are stained & need scrubbing.


Last week I found this cute picture at Hobby Lobby which was perfect for the space.  If you're ever shopping at Hobby Lobby be SURE to print out their 40% off coupon before you go.  I ended up spending about $20 on this & it's really high quality.



I also ended up picking up this picture for the kid's play room at Hobby Lobby, also using a 40% off coupon.  You can't use more than one coupon at a time & it can only be applied to one item, so I went back the next day.  Pinterest has been my latest obsession since there are so many creative ideas out there.  My mind is constantly churning with ideas!


Since we've moved into the house, Mike's "office" has been nothing but a junk pit dumping zone. I refuse to have a junk room in our house, so last week I tackled this room & got it completely organized & I'm happy to say it's officially a functioning office!!  


It's the first room off the front door so it's really nice to have the double doors open instead of hiding a disaster.  It makes the house seem a lot more open now.


Since it's Mike's office he's making it into a Chicago sport's themed room & he's also thrown in some of his own sports pictures!  With Labor Day weekend coming up, I have a bunch of small projects for us to work on.  As much as I love doing home projects, Mike does not!  That's why my Wednesdays are so very busy..  speaking of, time for me to run!  Hope you're all having a great week!


post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment