Monday, August 3, 2015

The time it rained for weeks in Florida

This summer has been a strange one & the last few weeks, Florida has been slammed with rain.  Today I woke up in the wee hours of the morning to non-stop thunder & lightning, accompanied by pelting rain.


This is what the roads near the water look like today. After rounding with patients, I settled into my desk at noon, wondering what I was going to eat for lunch when an email dinged to my phone.  It was the kids' daycare notifying me that daycare would be closing & the kids had to be fetched by 2pm.  That made for a very rushed afternoon!


Thankfully the roads near our house were in good condition so I had no issues.  I used the early start as an opportunity to hit Target & get groceries for the week.  We've been using the Our Groceries app on our Android phones (also available on iPhones) for the past couple of years & I cannot imagine living without it!  Mike & I share a list so if he's at the store & I think of something else, I add to to the list, it pops up on his list & saves me a phone call.  Also, as you're running out of something, you grab your phone & just add it which helps us from smacking ourselves as we come home from the store without something we needed.  It can be used via your phone or computer.  When I come up with a weekly menu, I'll have Pinterest pulled up next to Our Groceries so I can add things straight from the recipe.  I also love that you can organize it by category (ie, produce, dairy, meat, frozen) & as you grab your item, it puts a line through it & moves it to the bottom.  It's awesome!


Today I whipped up a delicious one-pan cheesy broccoli & brown rice casserole.  I got it from Pinterest but used brown rice in place of white which boosts the nutrition value but also greatly increases the cooking time.  It may take longer to cook, but it's super quick to whip up so as it simmers away on the stove top, you've got time to tackle other tasks.

One-Pan Broccoli Cheddar & Brown Rice Casserole
Yield: 6 servings 
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour, 45 minutes

-3T EVOO
-1 small yellow onion, finely diced
-1-1.25# boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces

-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 cup brown rice
-1 2/3 cup low sodium chicken broth
-2 heads broccoli, cut into florets
-2c sharp shredded cheddar cheese

1) In a large skillet or pan, saute onions over medium heat with 2T EVOO until softened.  2) In the meantime, cut chicken into bite-sized pieces & season with salt & pepper.  3) Increase heat to medium-high & begin to brown the chicken.  4) Dice garlic & add to pan.  5) Push chicken to one side of the pan, add 1T EVOO, add the uncooked brown rice & saute for a couple of minutes. 6) Add chicken broth, stir to combine, allow mixture to come to a simmer, cover & cook for approximately 1 hour & 15 minutes (if you were to use long-grain white rice, this step would take only 12 minutes to cook & require 2.5c chicken broth).  7) Add broccoli florets & allow to cook an additional 15-20 minutes. 8) Add a cup of shredded cheddar cheese & mix to combine. 9) Top mixture with remaining cheddar cheese, cover for 2 minutes & allow cheese to melt. 10) Eat & enjoy.  P.S. - I highly suggest adding hot sauce such as Cholula!




Since the weather was crummy this past weekend, we had a rare family of four only weekend, laid low & went out for a yummy dinner Saturday evening.


I may have also indulged in a fantastic margarita or two that Mike makes with 3 simple ingredients: Fresh squeezed lime, tequila & triple sec.  Delish!


Sunday after church we headed back to Chuck E. Cheese so Mike could experience the mayhem & madness!  It was a great rain-filled, family oriented weekend!!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment