Wednesday, August 10, 2011

26 Week Update & Cam's Accident

I'm now 26 weeks pregnant & Reese is the size of an English hot-house cucumber! She weighs about a pound & two-thirds & is fourteen inches long.

How am I feeling? Unfortunately my heartburn has been terrible this week & I've been taking two Pepcids daily just to survive. Sometimes it burns so bad that tears sting at my eyes! Otherwise I'm fine, besides feeling tired from the long, busy weekdays & nights. I'm usually running non-stop from 6:45 in the morning until 9 at night Monday-Friday. I keep my plans to a minimum on Friday evenings because I'm seriously good for nothing but sleep. And I know I look pretty run-down in this week's picture, but you'll know why by the end of this post!

Any new changes this week? Yes! My mom & dad were nice enough to buy Reese her crib just as they got Cam his crib. We put it together Saturday afternoon & began to get her room in order. Unfortunately she has to start off by sharing the guest bedroom. We're actually selling our house & up-sizing since we just don't have nearly enough room right now. Moving with a baby will not be easy but it will be so worth it in the long run!

When we moved into our house we painted the guest room blue & put our Chicago pictures on the wall. I'm pretty sure we'll end up painting the wall that her crib sits on as well as the wall to the right since I cannot bear to have my little girl in a blue room (even if it is only temporary). I'll likely do tan accent walls, put her name in wooden letters above her crib & maybe hang some pretty paper lanterns in the corner to spruce it up for Reese. Getting her nursery in order makes things so much more real! When I was washing & folding her hand-me-down pink clothes that we were lucky enough to inherit from our friends Jill & Josh, it really started to hit me... I'm going to have a daughter!!!

Weight gain? 7 pounds.

And the reason I'm so worn down today is that Cameron had a freak injury last night. We were playing in his room before bed & he had gotten himself all wound up. I was brushing his teeth & holding onto his hand in the process since he wanted to flee the room & the brushing. Well, he ended up pulling himself free & falling down. It was such an insignificant fall & it happened so quickly that I didn't even think twice about it or truly note what happened. Mike & I immediately knew something was wrong when he started screaming & crying & wouldn't stop. Cam is probably one of the toughest kids around & completely unfazed when it comes to pain.

After looking at his arm, it didn't appear to be broken. There was no swelling or bruising & it didn't look disfigured in any way. He just kept grabbing at his left forearm & saying, "hurts, hurts." When we got him to calm down & he relaxed & kept his arm still, he'd stop crying, but as soon as his arm shifted, he would scream bloody murder. We weren't sure if he just bruised it or what, so we decided to wait on the ER & see how he did through the night. We got him into bed & he quickly fell asleep as we rubbed his head & sat with him. He woke up crying at 11:00, 1:30 & 5:30 but went back to sleep after we again rubbed his head. We both called in to work since we knew he needed to be seen by a doctor. When he woke up for the day at 7:30 he was crying in pain but would again stop as long as he was still & didn't have to move his left arm. We even had to cut his pajama shirt off & dress him in a button-down shirt for our trip to the doctor.

After painfully getting him in the car in the pouring rain, we made it to the pediatrician. Our doctor, Dr Hartman, was off but we met with another doctor who was as equally wonderful. I am so thankful for Pediatric Healthcare Alliance because we've never once had anything but the best visit with them. Dr. Wilde was amazingly sweet & gentle with Cam & completely put him at ease. Cam kept pointing at his forearm & saying, "it hurts" so the doctor ordered x-rays at a radiology center down the road to rule-out a fracture. He thought it could be an elbow dislocation but wanted to be sure it wasn't broken before he started to manipulate it back into place. Cam was an absolute champ the entire time. I wasn't able to go into the x-ray room since I'm pregnant but I'm so thankful that Mike was with him. I love how you can see Mike's hand holding Cam's in the one picture! We headed back to the pediatrician with x-rays in hand & a radiology report that showed no apparent fractures. So it was back to considering a dislocated elbow since Cam could not rotate or lift his arm without excruciating pain. The doctor explained the process of getting his arm back in place, if it was actually dislocated. He told us that if it was, getting it back into place would immediately solve the problem. I held him in my lap, distracted him with his Toy Story DVD & the doctor manipulated his arm. We weren't sure at first & then Cam gave the doctor his first high-five using his hurt/left arm. We all screamed with excitement & joy since we realized that was the problem. The doctor even jumped up & down & gave Mike a high-five too!!

After getting Cam's elbow back in place, we were absolutely elated & it felt like a hundred pound weight had been lifted from our shoulders. Cam was a new man & 100% pain free & back to his happy self! Thankfully this was the first time Cam had ever gotten hurt enough to go to a doctor or consider making a trip to the ER. After going through it my heart goes out even more to parents who have truly sick kids. It's such a terrifyingly helpless feeling to see your child in pain & be unable to take it away. I am beyond thankful that he's okay, napping comfortably & that it was nothing serious!

post signature

1 comment:

  1. O.M.G. Allison! I can't believe Cam dislocated his elbow! We're so glad to learn he's ok! What a relief that it wasn't something more serious! Give him a kiss from all of us...

    Reeses' room will be cute... you're very creative... AND you look great! I just wish that heartburn would relent for you!