Monday, June 10, 2013

The (healthier) pancake post

Like most busy moms (and dads!), I know how insanely rushed mornings can be as well as evenings.  Most mornings, my kids end up eating Kashi whole grain waffles with natural peanut butter & honey or preserves.  I'm always looking for something new, so on a whim recently, I picked up pre-made frozen pancakes from Walmart.  Slap them in the microwave for a minute & a half & they're ready to go.  While heating them in a rush, bleary eyed at 6am, I decided I was going to make a healthier, homemade version of my own.  And that's just what I did!


Whole wheat blueberry pancakes
Makes 12-16 pancakes

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup ground flax seed
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 eggs
2 cups milk (I used fat free)
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Truvia OR 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup blueberries (or strawberries or bananas or whatever you desire!)

In a small bowl, mix together whole wheat flour, flax seed & baking powder.  In a larger bowl, mix eggs, milk, salt & sugar.  Stir in the flour mixture until just moistened.  Add blueberries (or other fruit of choice) & stir to incorporate.

Preheat griddle pan on medium heat, pour batter to desired pancake size, cook until bubbly, flip & continue cooking until golden brown.  


Since my exceptionally picky son doesn't like whole pieces of fruit in his pancakes, I puree the berries with the milk in our NutriBullet & then add it as directed.  Since I have a ton of frozen fruit on hand, I thaw the fruit in the microwave & then puree it.


This is what we had for dinner tonight, topped with honey, syrup or peanut butter (or all of the above) with a side of fresh fruit.


I made a double batch, froze them in a single layer on aluminum foil, packaged them in groups of three & stored them in a Ziplock bag in the freezer after they were frozen solid.  Heat three for a minute & a half and breakfast (or dinner) is served!


Evenings are nuts in our house!  After dinner/clean-up, we start the bedtime routine.  We only bathe our kids when they begin to reek which is about once every two weeks.  Ha ha, only kidding!!


Miss Independence wanted to dress herself tonight.  I have a feeling she's going to be an, "I do it myself" kind of gal!


Her sweet big brother took a bit of TV time to share some smooches!  Of course he couldn't be bothered with peeling his eyes from the TV.


Cam even takes the time to assist his sissy with having some water... all while continuing to watch TV.


The moment I ask Cam to look at the camera & smile, he goes into goofball mode, looks anywhere but the camera & wears anything but a normal smile.  Unless it's a candid shot, he looks a little cockeyed in pictures!


And before hopping into bed, Reese took a few minutes to say goodnight to her peeps on the telly!

3 comments:

  1. we love pancakes here too! and i love to make more and then freeze. i like to add the peanut butter right into the pancake, then you barely need syrup! less mess! kids look cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving these recipes! I really, really think you should write a book, or host a recipe specific blog or something. I know I for one, can use all of the advice I can get. I really want to make sure we eat healthy (and stay on budget), and there are so many things, like adding flax seeds to our pancakes, that I would have never thought of (or quite frankly, even known about). And the kids look cute as always! It is so fun watching these little ones change from babies to children, and develop little personalities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Cheryl, that's so sweet of you to say! How I'd love to write a cookbook or nutrition book of some sort. Maybe someday when I have a free minute & my Stage 5 Clinger (aka Reese) isn't needing/wanting me most of the day!! ;o)

    ReplyDelete